Manager, Research Working Groups
For over a decade, The Conference Board (TCB) has convened collaborative executive research – learning programs globally, known as Research Working Groups. The Manager, Research Working Groups works with the Director, Research Working Groups (RWG) to support the development of new offerings, and manage a varied portfolio of projects. The Manager, Research Working Groups is a recruiting and project management position for these programs which are led by subject matter experts and professional program directors. Responsibilities include working with TCB staff to identify compelling business challenges suited to six month collaborative study; researching and recruiting executives for approximately 5-8 groups annually and then steering each group through six months of meetings, research and report preparation. The Manager, Research Working Groups is charged with achieving member satisfaction and financial targets for projects in their portfolio.
Principal Direct Activities
- Recruit Participants: Utilize a strategic sales and strong client management approach to engage in one on one recruiting for participants from the TCB membership. Demonstrate a visible passion for executive learning and be able to quickly master a variety of business topics. Assist in defining the research scope and marketing collateral. Develop and maintain a systematic approach to recruiting participants, working effectively in partnership with other TCB staff.
- Track Sales and Prospects: Maintain sales pipeline documents and communicate monthly sales projections to the Director, RWG. Update STARS database to include new discussions and client progress reports to keep associated TCB staff abreast of the recruitment efforts.
- Project Manager: Responsible for keeping all components of each Working Group in the Manager’s portfolio on track to meet all time, budget and content expectations. Work with Program Directors, Writers and TCB staff such as meeting planners and publishing to coordinate details. Record all invoices, payments, expenses and record keeping for each Working Group.
- Serve Members: With the Member Services Coordinator track membership activities (joins, replacements, quits, etc) in STARS and other databases. Be in regular contact with participants of groups to ensure that the program is meeting their expectations and needs.
- Review Projects: Assess written evaluations and gather customer feedback/input for continuous improvement of programs and project teams.
- Dissemination and Communications: Assist with efforts to disseminate the results and findings of each group. Look for opportunities to collaborate with TCB departments to benefit from the public visibility of the results of these projects.
- Support RWG Department: Gather and track intelligence on competing offerings to maintain competitive advantage. Assist in determining overall market opportunities and collaborate with internal partners (marketing, web, experiential and production teams) to implement effective and relevant programs that integrate new technologies and approaches to achieve the goals of the department. Participate in TCB research and practice area programs to stay abreast of current topics and offerings.
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Qualification and Requirements
A successful candidate for the manager role will:
- bachelors degree with a minimum of 3 years work experience in a professional office environment
- knowledge of and curiosity about current business issues relevant to Fortune 500 companies
- work experience that includes selling to executives and a proven track record of meeting and exceeding sales quotas, including cold calling and internet research
- the ability to communicate with high level executives through excellent written and verbal skills
- good organization and be detail oriented with the ability to multi-task and problem solve
- a customer focus with excellent interpersonal skills
- the ability to travel to attend approximately 5–10 two to four day business meetings annually
- proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of database management
- self-motivation with the ability to work with minimal supervision