The Manager of Public & Media Relations monitors the public profile of The Conference Board (TCB), helping to craft and managing execution of the organization's media and public relations strategies and programs. This position reports to the Director, Office of Communications.
Reports to Director, Office of Communications
- Keeps track of and identifies TCB
- news as it develops, working closely with colleagues across all knowledge and delivery areas.
- Identifies earned-coverage, op-ed, speaking, and other opportunities to advance the public profile of TCB according to agreed strategies.
- Keeps close track of journalists at global media outlets that reach key TCB audiences, and of experts who write and/or are widely quoted about issues of TCB interest in blogs and other media. Shares relationship-management and placement efforts with the Director, Office of Communications.
- Crafts media strategy, pitches, releases and other outreach efforts that best leverage environment (issues management) and TCB strategic objectives.
- Serves as primary point of media and public contact; filters interview and appearance requests and makes recommendations accordingly.
- Prepares TCB spokespeople for interviews and other public appearances.
- Serves on and organizes TCB global public and media relations network, coordinating strategy execution and programs and working closely with TCB staff and contractors/vendors worldwide.
- Shares responsibility for ensuring the timely and secure dissemination of data press releases worldwide, and other essential Communications and Marketing tasks.
- Monitors, develops and implements strategies for TCB positioning on TCB website and all social media channels.
- Oversees the Communications Department's media-related contractor/vendor relationships.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Within the position summary above, the Manager of Public & Media Relations helps establish and foster close relationships within key media and other forums that reach TCB target audiences.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (such as Journalism, Communications, English, Business). Familiarity with non-profit communications desirable, but not required.
- Demonstrated familiarity with and strong contacts in media and other public relations spheres. Familiarity with current best practices and tools of public and media relations.
- Knowledge of/interest in TCB main practice areas and markets. International experience and foreign-language abilities desirable, but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, interpersonal, and project-management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and familiarity with PR/Media platforms.
- The ideal candidate will be a high-energy self-starter who gets along well with others and acts in a collegial manner that promotes teamwork and builds credibility and trust in the Communications Department.