The Senior Marketing Manager plays a critical role in driving business results and strengthening The Conference Board brand by creating and approving effective, benefit driven marketing plans while ensuring that promotion spend is at or below its targeted % of conference revenue. Takes a hands-on, strategic direct marketing and sales approach.
Reports to Executive Director Marketing and works closely with Marketing Managers and other members of the direct marketing department.
Principal Direct Activities
- MARKETING DEPARTMENT
- Works with Executive Director, Direct Marketing to ensure that the marketing budget for the fiscal year is set for each conference and seminar.
- Assign conferences to Marketing Managers and appropriately allocates marketing resources.
- In conjunction with Executive Director of Direct Marketing, signs off on all marketing plans to ensure plan viability, cost effectiveness and expectations.
- Conduct status meetings with Marketing Managers in conjunction with Executive Director of Direct Marketing.
- Train new direct marketing staff and interns
- Identify products where marketing spend should be increased or decreased by working closely with Executive Directors of Engagement and SVP of Engagement.
- Serve as Marketing Manager for a select number of high profile products.
- Assist as needed with all promotional plans.
- Pro-actively identify poor performing events, recommend steps to address and monitor.
- Pro-actively identify over performing events, recommend steps to address and monitor.
- Ensure all conferences and seminars have a creative brief at least 20 weeks prior to the event date involving all key stakeholders.
- Review all plans to ensure that selections are being made based upon the agreed upon profile of the attendee.
- Monitor lead-times, seeds, mailings, and timelines and flag issues.
- Ensure spend is accurate and properly allocated to specific channels.
- Review the current environment and operating practices to build an internal assessment of the current capabilities in direct marketing.
- Conduct a gap analysis from best practices and recommend an operating model that will deliver streamlined, scalable and repeatable processes in collaboration with other TCB stakeholders.
- Carefully analyze all channels including direct mail, email, audience development, social media, and website to ensure a proper spend and ROI.
- Eliminate channels where ROI is below a critical threshold.
- Identify new channels and techniques to remain on the cutting edge of direct marketing.
- For each event assess the strength of database by source, recency, geography, interest and market segment areas.
- Work with Executive Directors of Engagement and Executive Director, Diret Marketing to identify key gaps in current database and utilize both internal and external resources to add names where necessary.
- Provide detailed reporting to Executive Director, Direct Makreting on where we are short prospects and help craft a plan to plug the gap.
- Continuously look for new ways of acquiring appropriate prospects.
- Monitor name acquisition, coding and data integrity.
- Ensure that all events are closed out accurately and that post-event analysis happens on a timely basis.
- Set up tools for seamless aggregation of event analysis.
- Check source, recency and decline analysis monthly and make changes to promotion plan guidelines, sign-off rules and database hygiene and build accordingly.
- Examine aggregate booking patterns monthly by market segment to determine appropriate marketing methodology and confidence level in projected numbers.
- Review market segment analysis quarterly and suggest topic, forward schedule and curriculum changes accordingly.
- Analyze the data in the events marketing schedule to ensure that best practice guidelines are being met e.g. correct lead-time, and to set new rules.
- Ensure that marketing spend is focused on products that are performing and will return the highest ROI.
- Identify, supervise and evaluate outside suppliers and consultants as necessary to execute marketing activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Participate in TCB development courses as needed.
- Stay informed on current marketing best practices in techniques through industry publications, blogs, websites and associations.
- Attending marketing conferences as needed to gain additional insights and best practices.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Advertising or Communications with at least 5 years of broad-based experience in all facets of sales support including audience acquisition and retention.
- An MBA is desirable, but not required. Excellent communications skills – both written and verbal – are a must, as are interpersonal and project and budget management capabilities.
- The ideal candidate is a high-energy self starter who gets along well with others and acts in a collegial manner that promotes teamwork and builds credibility and trust in the Marketing department. Brand management experience and knowledge in creating and managing accounts in various social media channels is necessary.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel are required, as is knowledge of tools to optimize online marketing efforts such as Search Engine Optimization techniques and Google Analytics.