Briefing Details and Key Insights
Examining seven major forces at work that are affecting most businesses -- discussion of what keeps executives awake at night.
- Aligning investment with global economic growth
- Trends that exacerbate the war for talent
- Preparing for millennials to become leaders of the corporation
- The circular economy: strategies for sustainability business strategies
- Digital transformation and the importance of culture versus technology
- A realistic look at China’s growth
- The connected consumer: where, how large, and how they behave differently
Dimensioning key digital sphere developments in China and their disruptive potential.
- Contextualizing China’s digital frenzy
- The unique features of China’s digital and innovation environment
- Parsing the hype, from the real, from the (potentially) transformational
- Where is the MNC play-space?
What does “China Exposure” mean for global business?
- China as a different kind of geo-economic actor
- Intentional vs. consequential China exposures and transmission channels
- China’s grand plans – BRI, Made in China 2025, OFDI, and more
- Chinese characteristics abroad -- the good, the bad, the ugly
- Upsides and downsides -- near-term and long-term
What is the current state of consumption growth in China?
- Appraising the shift from investment- to consumption-led growth
- Assessing the key drivers of and constraints on consumption
- What do momentous demographic shifts mean for future consumption?
- Where is consumption growth strongest: locations, dynamics and consumer segments?
From demographic dividend to demographic deficit – what does it mean for business?
- Population, aging and gender impacts on workforce supply
- Educational changes and access to talent
- Government policy impacts on workforce supply – e.g. revisions to the one child policy
- The impact of coming demographic changes on the consumption outlook
What are the key economic trends and policy issues for MNC businesses in 2019?
- Growth driver assessments and sustainability questions
- Impacts of the government’s “risk containment” policy stance
- Key risk areas: real estate bubble, debt burdens, liquidity challenges, capital outflows, and the RMB value, etc.
- HTrade conflict impacts on industry, exports and sentiment
Will the world change China, or will China change the world?
- What are the causes of friction and their context?
- What trade- and investment-related policy tools are the US and EU using, and what has it meant for business so far?
- How has China responded and how is it likely to respond going forward?
- What steps can MNCs take to mitigate trade-related policy exposure risks, and position for possible opportunities?
How MNCs can align with the “ideal outcomes” of the Chinese leadership to successfully finesse the control environment and create growth opportunities and regulatory space in the “New Era.”
- Dimensioning China’s control environment
- What’s changed in regulator behavior in the new, Xi Jinping era?
- Grandiosity traps and their consequences
- Creating opportunities by “Minding the Gaps”
What are the new alignment points and value proposition drivers for MNCs in China?
- Mapping pathways from China’s development challenges to MNC opportunities
- Identifying the new MNC play space, the requirements to play, and potential “edge-ball” opportunities
- What success looks like in an increasingly contained competitive environment
- “Equity partners with benefits” – new mechanisms for creating leverage and access
Looking beyond the headlines to evaluate the play-space for MNCs along China’s signature foreign policy project.
- What’s real and what’s hyperbole: a report card to date on BRI funding, project rollouts, and blowback
- Key geostrategic implications and host-country risks to watch
- MNC success factors, strategies, and learnings from the first five years of BRI
How are institutional and policy changes impacting environmental protection enforcement and compliance in China?
- Major institutional reforms pre-2018 and their impact on environment supervision and enforcement at the local levels
- The 2018 ministerial restructuring and its impact on environmental governance institutions
- Important new and strengthened policy tools for corporate pollution control
- Impacts of raised standards on MNCs’ business and supply chains in China
- What’s ahead – outlook for the coming years
Assessing labor market dynamics and potential impacts on consumption and social stability.
- Important regional and structural labor market developments -- what do the numbers tell us?
- Demand- and supply-side factors contributing to employment trends
- Service sector and micro-enterprise developments, and their growth drivers
- Employment stability questions and implications for MNC business
Envisioning the future of US-China relations.
- Assessing the historical context -- impacts on today’s manifestations
- Assessing the friction points and the stakes involved
- The US calculus; the China calculus -- is there an in-between?
- Planning assumptions: how might things evolve, devolve or resolve