Support our nonpartisan, nonprofit research and insights which help leaders address societal challenges.Donate
Companies forge alignment in various ways—by breaking down silos, integrating systems, coordinating business unit activities to achieve objectives. This report, based on a survey of 86 corporations and more than 30 interviews with corporate senior executives in Europe and North America, identifies best practices in leading a successful alignment strategy from a senior management perspective.
- Different Approaches to Strategic Business Alignment (SBA)
- Factors That Enable or Inhibit Alignment
- SBA as a Challenge for Management
- Meeting the Challenges
- Does Less Aligned Mean Less Well Managed?
- Indicators of Strong Alignment
- Some Companies Remain Weakly Aligned—What are the Commonalities?
- Approaches to Achieving Alignment
- Strength of Alignment vs. Soft Approaches
- Building Alignment Within Different Organizational Contexts
Full Report Also Includes:
- Company Examples: Centex Corporation; a Healthcare Equipment Provider; Monsanto company; Nestlé, S.A.; Pfizer Inc.; and BP p.l.c.
- Profile of Survey and Interview Participants
- Key Recommendations
- 10 Tables and Charts