The retirement of baby boomers will create a shortage of skilled workers in mature economies worldwide, leading to higher wages and lower profits for the next 15 years. Is your company at risk of labor shortages? It depends on occupations, geographies, automation, and immigration, among other factors. The Conference Board has developed an index that helps companies forecast their risk of labor shortages in hundreds of occupations and industries in the US and Europe. This report discusses implications for companies and mitigating actions they can take.
Use these data tables to determine your labor shortage risk
Search by industry and occupation or search for occupations within industries:
Construction | Finance & Insurance | Health | Mining | Professional, Science & Technical Service | Transportation | Utilities
Connect with our experts on this topic
Attend an in-person briefing, presented by the researcher
Join the conversation on Twitter
Watch a webcast, featuring Q&A with the researchers
- Is Your Occupation or Industry at a High Risk for Labor Shortages? (US)
- Labor Shortages Are Coming: The When and Where
Read a blog on this topic
- Large Variation in Working-Age Population Projections Across States
- In Defense of Our Most Controversial Labor Markets Chart
- Are Baby Boomers Really Retiring in Large Numbers?
- Faster Than Expected: The US Labor Market Continues to Tighten
- Hiring Qualified Workers: Is it Really That Hard?
- It is Not Crazy to Expect a Crazy Low Unemployment Rate in Two Years
- Strong Job Growth, But in Which Industries?
- Wage Growth- The Young Shall Lead Us
- What's Coming? "Secular Stagnation" or Stagflation?
- Have Corporate Profits Peaked?
- Timeline: What Countries Are Going to Experience Labor Shortages and When?
- Expected Labor Shortages Among Skilled Labor
- Tight Labor Market is Coming! Prepare or Fail
Watch the Insight Minute
Learn more about the researchers
More thought leadership on this topic
- International Comparisons of Annual Labor Force Statistics
- The Conference Board Labor Markets in Review™: Vol. 4, 2014
- From a Buyer's Market to a Seller's Market: Declining Unemployment and Evolving Labor Shortages in the United States
- Human Capital Watch™: Evolving Labor Shortages in the US
- Jobs, Skills, and Digital
- 15 Years of a Tight Labor Market Are Around the Corner
- Is Wage Growth Accelerating? All Signs Point to Yes!
- Will the labor market bring down the stock market?
- From an Employer's To a Job Seeker's Market: The U.S. Labor Market Is Shifting Gears
- Occupations Most At Risk of Labor Shortages in the Next Decade
- What Will Be the Fastest Growing Occupations in the Coming Decade?
- What Will Be the Fastest Growing Industries?
- 15 Years of a Tight Labor Market are Around the Corner
- Why is the Unemployment Rate Declining So Rapidly?