About The Corporate Governance for Senior Leaders Academy
A Program for Senior Executives to Better Understand and Anticipate the Needs of their Boards
Senior executives, including business unit leaders, CHROs, CFOs, senior risk managers and senior executives in finance, compensation, and sustainability are often called upon to interact with their boards of directors. Many of these executives may also be asked to serve on boards themselves as part of their own leadership development. How do they come to understand the roles of the CEO, management, the board; and the key governance and oversight issues that concern directors?
The Conference Board is in a unique position, having provided trusted insights to business globally for nearly 100 years. We are a brain trust of governance experts across multiple fields—board structure and strategy, risk management, sustainability, executive compensation, and investor relations. We have specialists who have worked with corporate boards and management for more than 30 years. Since 1993 our Governance Center and Directors’ Institute programs have reached more global directors and senior executives than any other governance program available today. We have consistently supplemented these programs with in-depth practically oriented research into the leading edge issues of the day.
Benefits of attending
Participants will receive two main benefits:
First, a sophisticated practitioner’s look at governance; not just as a compliance issue but as a strategic issue, including:
- The responsibility of the board versus management and how to improve the effectiveness of management's interaction with the board
- The increasing expectations of investors, regulators, and the public that directors will provide rigourous oversight of managment, enterprise risk, and corporate performance
- How management and the board can work together to satisfy increasing demands to engage directly with investors, regulators, and external constituents on a range of issues such as executive compensation, risk management, board evaluation, succession planning and corporate responsibility
Second, actionable strategies including:
- How to enrich your understanding of the pressures upon boards and anticipate their needs
- How to improve your effectiveness in the subtle and highly-nuanced area of navigating board relationships and expectations
- How to improve your own portfolio of skills in making presentations geared to win acceptance by boards and other high level audiences
As a participant in the Academy you will learn to navigate the turbulent waters of board decision-making, both on a routine basis and in crises situations. You will increase your perception of issues from the board’s point of view, enabling you to better anticipate and respond to the needs of your board. Finally, you will have an opportunity to make a short video presentation to a board on a project of your choice and benefit through coaching and personal feedback to perfect your effectiveness in front of directors.
Who should attend?
The program is designed for corporate leaders who are part of the company’s senior leadership, including:
- Business unit heads
- Heads of HR and Finance
- Heads of Risk Management, Internal Audit
- Executives in charge of strategy, communications and charitable contributions
- Executives working on any aspect of shareowner or external constituent involvement