Leads multiple projects within CED’s evolving portfolio of applied economic policy analysis, focusing on U.S. policy issues including but not limited to the U.S. labor force, economic change, trade, health policy, regulatory policy, and fiscal/tax policy. Takes responsibility for the intellectual design as well as the daily management and execution of CED’s analysis in the applied economic policy area, through directly conducting some projects and managing the work of outside experts in other cases. Communicates findings in ways that are meaningful and accessible to CED’s core audiences of business leaders and policy-makers. Serves as the interface with CED Members in his/her areas of expertise. Assists the Senior Vice President and Director of Research in responding to external inquiries from Members, policy-makers, and the media.
Reports to Director of Research. May take assignments from other senior staff. May be asked to supervise staff such as Research Assistants or Associates.
Principal Direct Activities
- In collaboration with the Research team serves as the intellectual leader for applied economic policy analysis at CED by identifying leading issues produced by the fast-changing policy environment and the interests of CED Members. Designs and implements projects to create high-quality content in applied economic policy analysis relevant to the U.S. Establishes and maintains a network of outside subject matter experts (SMEs) with whom to collaborate when needed.
- Conducts multiple policy analysis projects within CED’s evolving portfolio of applied economic policy, focusing on U.S. policy issues including but not limited to the U.S. labor force, economic change, trade, health policy, regulatory policy, and fiscal/tax policy. Conducts the work directly in some cases and manages the work of outside SMEs and collaborators in other cases. Assumes direct responsibility for each phase of the project [design, execution, writing, and production of other final products (e.g., online, interactive features)] for his/her own projects. Manages and reviews the work of outside SMEs and collaborators for projects that are “outsourced.”
- Conducts literature reviews, policy analyses, and data analysis, using appropriate analytic techniques. Reaches objective, non-partisan findings within the limits of the research design and proposes evidence-based policy recommendations with input from CED’s Members.
- Reviews content created by CED staff and outside contributors to control quality, integrity, and non-partisan balance of the products produced and effectively upholds internal research and neutrality standards.
- Entrepreneurially develops and executes new content areas and product types (e.g., data analyses leading to online, interactive content; fast turnaround analyses of recent policy proposals).
- Identifies, obtains, and manages foundation grants and other funding sources to continue and expand CED’s applied economic analysis portfolio.
- Supports the Senior Vice President and Director of Research or other project leaders in the presentation of findings and policy recommendations to business and policy-making audiences, and acts as an interface in his/her areas of expertise with CED Members, policy-makers, and the media.
- Interacts effectively with CED Members and outside subject matter experts to obtain input and guidance on CED analyses and policy recommendations.
- Collaborates with the communications and the editorial/production staff in the timely production of content that is relevant and accessible to CED’s core audiences of Members, policy-makers, and the media. These include, but are not limited to, written policy briefs, interactive online content, op-eds, and podcasts.
- Supports the Research team as well as the Communications department in designing and executing communication plans for policy analysis projects.
- Provides information to media outlets, CED Members, and policy-makers, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Within the broad range of activities summarized above, the Senior Researcher, Economic Policy is responsible for assuring effective and timely project execution with deliverables that meet CED’s high standards for quality, relevance, and accessibility.
The Senior Researcher, Economic Policy operates at a high level of independence and reports to the Director of Research while coordinating with other CED senior staff.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
Applicant must have a minimum of 5-10 years’ relevant experience in analysis of U.S. economic policy and demonstrated ability to create content that effectively disseminates such analysis. Experience in a relevant executive or legislative government agency is highly desirable. The applicant should have a graduate degree in applied economics, public policy, economics, or a related field. Demonstrated expertise in at least one of CED’s areas of U.S. economic policy is strongly preferred. A demonstrated ability to creatively develop projects, engage experts, interact with business leaders, and develop funding is essential. Ability to write for and communicate effectively with a non-expert business and policy audience is essential. Ability to work with data sets to produce policy-relevant, online, interactive products is highly desirable. The position requires creativity in developing new content in the economic policy area; creating and developing strategic alliances with prestigious business leaders, external experts, and organizations; and increasing the visibility of CED’s content with external audiences and the media.
Apply for Sr. Researcher, Economic Policy CED using the link below:
TCB doesn’t discriminate / we are an equal opportunity employer in all solicitations or advertisements for employees.