The Conference Board is most successful when we can create a free flow of ideas and insights between our research team, our delivery team, our Program Directors and our members. The quality of the services we offer is dependent on this free flow of ideas, and in particular on ensuring that the best ideas get transmitted into the proper settings at the proper time. And our success is largely dependent on the intellectual quality of our services.
The Executive Directors of Engagement are the primary resource for ensuring that the best ideas flow to the proper places at the proper times. In this fashion they improve the quality of our Conferences (by influencing the agendas and the speakers), our Councils (ditto), our Research (by feeding back ideas from members and others) and all of our other products and services that involve ideas and insights.
A second factor in our success is our ability to understand the needs of our member organizations, and to effectively match our very wide range of services to meet these needs. Program Directors – typically not full-time employees – represent one critical channel through which we assess member needs and match them to our offerings. The Engagement Directors, through their line management of the Program Directors, are responsible for ensuring the PDs are performing this role properly (as well as effectively performing their day-to-day PD role).
The Executive Director of Engagement-Human Capital Practice will have strong subject matter knowledge one or more of the following human capital issues including talent management, leadership development, diversity & inclusion, human capital analytics, employee engagement and strategic workforce planning.
Reports to the Executive Vice President, Products and Services.
Principal Direct Activities
- Delivering Subject Matter Expertise
- Reviews and is familiar with all TCB research and other branded content, with a particular emphasis on content in their assigned Practice area, and is able to engage in substantive discussions on these topics with staff and members.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and presents some of the Practice content and content in a variety of forums including conferences, councils, webcasts, briefings, and face-to-face discussions
- Helps design offerings in all product areas to ensure the highest quality ideas (and the proper network of people to discuss them) are well represented in our offerings.
- Reviews the agendas and presenters for all Conference Board offerings (whether co-designed by the Engagement Director or not) and makes suggestions to enhance the quality of the ideas and discussions
- Builds and manages a team of Program Directors within the assigned topic area to support individual councils, conferences, and other services—developing their expertise within the domain and their ability to both contribute to and represent The Conference Board brand.
- Provides subject matter expertise to support the Development Teams (globally), the US Sponsorship Sales Team, and other go-to-market efforts where subject matter expertise is needed.
- Ensures that our marketing and communications materials (in print and on the website) are substantive and accurately reflect and convey our research conclusions and insights
- With Research and other divisions of The Conference Board, plans for and includes research staff in formulating agendas and speaking opportunities.
- Works across The Conference Board to ensure topic integration, communication and awareness of all activities (research, conferences, councils, webcasts, etc.) and facilitates the interchange of ideas across business units.
- Represents the members’ interests and influences the research agenda based on the content and discussions in the various forums of the practice/topic area.
- Works with EVPs, SVPs, Research Directors, the other Executive Directors of Engagement, and others in the organization to strengthen the Practices
- Initiates and oversees training programs to ensure the entire organization (with particular emphasis on the Development teams and the Program Directors) is educated on the Key Business Issues and is aware of the more comprehensive Knowledge Plan.
- Develops and maintains a strong database of thought leaders and leading-edge practitioners to highlight as speakers or participants in conferences, councils and other meetings. Expands the network of executives both among and within companies who participate in the high-quality programs and services of The Conference Board, creating new opportunities on a regular basis.
- Completes other duties and projects as assigned by the Executive Vice President, Products and Services.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advance degree in a related field preferred
- 5-10 years of experience as a practitioner in one or more human capital issues
- Fast, agile learner who is genuinely curious about issues in the field
- Experience producing high quality programs for an executive audience
- Broad network within the field
- Experience managing a multi-discipline team of people from different parts of an organization
- Ability to manage up and down and across the organization
- Experience working in a matrixed organization structure
- Ability to influence without authority
- Strong facilitation skills