The Research Assistant will be engaged in a variety of research projects in Macroeconomics especially on Labor Markets.
Reports to the Director, Macroeconomic and Labor Market Research. RA will also receive directions from the Senior Economist, Labor Comparisons Program. As required, RA may receive day-to-day work assignments from other staff members in the economics department.
Principal Direct Activities
- Supports the team, especially the Director Macroeconomics and Labor Markets, in labor market research projects in topics such as employment outlook, labor shortages, retirement trends, compensation trends, productivity, and others.
- Supports organization, maintenance, and development of The Conference Board International Labor Comparisons program, as well as related databases such as the Global Labor Market Database and the Total Economy Database. Keeps well informed on current developments and underlying economic conditions related to the subject areas and countries of assignment. Monitors quality of data used in the program, as well as efficient use. Develops a familiarity with various international and country data sources, understanding of data limitations.
- Collects, processes, and analyzes data using official statistics from national accounts, labor force and other household surveys and employment statistics, production statistics, etc. Corresponds in English or in a foreign language with officials from foreign statistical offices and other data-producing institutions to obtain data and metadata needed for comparisons.
- Analyzes labor market data using tabular and graphical tools to identify relationships among indicators and countries. Develops and maintains charts and interactive dashboards that highlight key trends in labor markets.
- Supports the production and release of various deliverables, in a timely manner (meeting all deadlines etc.) including webcasts, notes and reports and briefings, on The Conference Board’s Labor Market Initiative and the International Labor Comparisons Program.
- Tabulates data and performs basic statistical and logical analyses of research results.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualification and Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at university level that includes a specialization in economics.
- The position is heavily focused on data analysis. Experience in economics data and analysis is therefore essential. Candidate should be detail-oriented; a responsible independent worker who has the ability to effectively work on many projects simultaneously and meticulously meets deadlines.
- Working experience with Excel is required. Programming skills and experience with statistical software (Stata, SAS, Eviews, etc.) is preferred.
- Good writing and communication skills