The Senior Economist conceives, plans, develops and manages several economic research projects on productivity and long-term economic projections covering two of the five sub-topic areas within the Economy, Markets and Value Creation knowledge area: (1) Productivity and Innovation, and (2) Global Economies.
Incumbent develops project plans for projects in those areas and oversees their implementation. He/she utilizes strong statistical, economic and writing skills in providing analysis and written text for publications of the Board and outside publications, makes presentations, participates in webcasts and makes member and other presentations, as requested, on areas of expertise, provides information services to The Conference Board's staff and responds to external inquiries from Associates and media.
Reports to the Director of Business Cycles and Growth Research.
Principal Direct Activities
- Directs several flagship projects in the productivity and long-term projections area. This includes developing and analyzing the Total Economy Database, writing the “Performance Report”, writing the annual “Productivity brief”, conducting analysis on unit labor costs, global value chain analysis, developing global long-term economic projections, and other reports and projects as assigned.
- Works with the Chief Economist, the Director of Business Cycles and Growth Research and others to develop an annual research program in this area.
- Develops project plans for individual projects, and implements them both intellectually and organizationally.
- Manages a limited number of (2-3) researchers, RA’s and interns who are assigned to those projects.
- Provides economic analysis using econometrics skills to develop models to supplement the Board's research.
- Provides analysis and written text in several of the Economic Program's periodicals, reports, and other economic products.
- Manages all aspects of one or more of the Economic Program's proprietary and statistical surveys and briefs media on data results.
- Participates in the general development of strategic plans for the Board’s research, meeting and information service activities by offering input in keeping with own professional knowledge.
- Provides information service to all Associates, Media, Information Specialists, and to other researchers.
- Makes presentations on the economic outlook and other Conference Board economic research topics, as requested.
- Writes periodic articles for Conference Board publications as well as external publication.
- Designs charts, tables, and graphic presentations and coordinates their productions so as to insure representatives of the figures and accuracy of the data presented.
- Participates in meetings and seminars relevant to the Economic Program’s and overall Knowledge Program’s interests.
- Keeps abreast of subject specialty, research methodologies, technical enhancements, and other information dissemination techniques.
- Working experience with statistical software such as Stata, SAS, Eviews, and Matlab.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
A PhD in Economics with an emphasis on macroeconomics, statistics, mathematics, and econometrics is required, as well as a minimum experience of 3-5 years in an applied research environment. An in depth knowledge of and experience of growth accounting methods and databases is preferred. A demonstrated specialization in growth and productivity research on either mature economies or emerging economies is preferred. Incumbent should have demonstrated communication and writing skills, excellent time-series and econometric skills, familiarity with macroeconomic data, and solid credentials in macroeconomic analysis as well as strong analytical and quantitative skills, the ability to organize and interpret data, and strong attention to details. Knowledge of software/statistical packages, such as Excel, Access, Visual Basic, STATA and E-Views etc.; programming experience preferred. Incumbent must have experience with working in a (virtual) team environment, work well under pressure, and meet deadlines. Some experience with project and people management is desirable.