About Business & Economics Portfolio
For years, college and university libraries have benefited from the superior business management and economic research and insights of The Conference Board. We are now adding historical data for our economic indicators to these offerings.
Our issue-focused research — combined with our members’ own experiences and the insights of our peer networks — promotes a fully informed, enterprise-wide perspective organized into three practice areas:
The Conference Board Composite Indexes for the United States
This group of statistical time series has proven useful in analyzing the alternating waves of economic expansion and contraction. The three indexes are useful because they tend to smooth out much of the volatility of individual series.
- The Conference Board Leading Economic Index ® (LEI)
- The Conference Board Coincident Economic Index ® (CEI)
- The Conference Board Lagging Economic Index ® (LAG)
- Data series: January 1959—present
Consumer Confidence Index® (CCI)
The widely watched, highly accurate gauge of consumer spending and perceptions.
- Consumer Confidence Index®
- Present Situation Index
- Expectations Index
- Data series: January 1959- present
The Conference Board Employment Trends Index™ (ETI)
The Employment Trends Index aggregates eight labor-market indicators, each of which has
proven accurate in its own area. Aggregating individual indicators into a composite index filters
out so called “noise” to show underlying trends more clearly.
- Data series: November 1973- present
The Conference Board and PwC Measure of CEO Confidence™
This quarterly survey of approximately 100 CEOs in a wide range of industries details chief
executives’ attitudes and expectations regarding the overall state of the economy as well as their
- Data series: January 1976- present
Users will also have a direct link toThe Conference Board Total Economy Database™, a comprehensive database with annual data covering GDP, population, employment, hours, labor quality, capital services, labor productivity, and total factor productivity for over 100 countries.They will also have access to The Conference Board Economics Watch™ program, which offers a summary of all economic indicators compiled into one document; three separate monthly publications that provide forecasts for the United States, Europe, and emerging markets; and primary research on topics such as labor force dynamics, innovation, foreign currency exchange, and productivity.
Over 1,300 research reports, articles, and thought pieces, including:
- Executive Action Series Informative and lively online articles that offer insights on current business issues
- Director Notes Regular releases by experts from a variety of disciplines on issues related to corporate boards
- Human Capital in Review™ Selected and thoughtfully summarized article reviews of what is happening in human capital’s various arenas
- Conference KeyNotes Experience highlights from our signature conferences and join in live Q&A on the issues they explore.
- The Conference Board Economics Watch® and Business Management webcasts Topics range from corporate ethics and compliance programs to strategic workforce planning to brand communications.