The Retail Revolution - Can Europe Match U.S. Productivity Performance?
The retail and wholesale trade sectors have, over the past decade, been key contributors to the gap in productivity performance between the United States and the European Union. Both sectors are also major sources of employment, and their importance is growing. This report dissects and identifies the root causes of the EU-U.S. productivity growth gap in these sectors. It takes a unique approach to the issue—blending economic theory with business case analysis and explains Europe’s lagging performance in the retail sector.
- What is Stalling Europe’s Catch-up in Productivity?
- Improved Technology and Organisational Change Create Explosive Growth
- Lean Retailing Technological Innovation Transforms an Industry
- Europe’s Slower Change Puts Retail Industry Behind U.S.
- Is Too Much Regulation the Main Cause of Europe's Slower Transformation?
- Looking Ahead - Can European Firms Achieve the Required Scale To Benefit from Improved Technology?
- Key Findings
- Over two dozen tables and charts