Regional Headquarters: Roles and Organization
Robert J. Kramer
As globalization stalls and regional economic blocs become stronger and more protectionist, multinational companies are questioning the role and organization of regional headquarters in their operations. This report, which completes the Organizing for Global Competitiveness series and is based in part on corporate interviews in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, examines a number of issues that are central to the existence and management of a regional organization and its headquarters.
- RHQ Life-Cycle Stages
- The Context of North America Regional Operations
- Regional Organization Design for Europe
- The Challenging Asia-Pacific Environment
- Advantages and Disadvantages of RHQs
- If the Pace of Globalization Increases, Will RHQs Whither Away?
Full report also includes:
- Case studies in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, including Svenska Cellulosa, Aktiebolaget SCA, Stora Enso Oyj, BP p.l.c., Siemens Corporation, Solvay, S.A., KPMG, Campbell Soup Company, A European Healthcare Products Producer, Koninklijke Philips Electronics, N.V., Allianz AG, BASF AG, Schindler Holding, Ltd., National Starch and Chemical Company, Singapore, Ltd., Henkel KgaA
- A guest essay on how to design a healthy regional headquarters