Our Research Focus at the China Center
- What is the near and medium-term outlook?
- What statistics make sense?
- What are the dynamics of growth and the risks to the economy?
Productivity and Competitiveness
- Can China sustain continued productivity gains and move up the value added curve?
- How are Chinese sectors and industries performing?
- What is the capacity or over-capacity situation in Chinese industry, really?
Human Capital and Labor Markets
- What is the size and what are the characteristics of China's talent pool?
- What are the supply/demand dynamics for talent?
- What is really going on with employment, unemployment and wages?
- What talent management practices work best in China?
- What is really going on with household consumption in China?
- Is it becoming "the" next growth driver?
- Amidst a significant demographic shift, what is the evolving nature and composition of spending?
Finance Sector and Institutional Development
- Can China continue to have economic development without institutional reform and independent and empowered market and legal safeguards?
- What are the sources and levels of instability in the system?
- How can systemic risk be remedied?
Regulatory Dynamics and Playing Fields
- How is the competitive and operating environment evolving in China, in particular for MNC companies?
- What are the competitive dynamics between State, private and foreign firms in the market?
- What is the nature and use of laws and regulations, and where are the shifting points of regulatory influence?
Sustainability and Green Growth
- What are the economic and social costs associated with environmental degradation in China?
- How can resource demand be balanced against supply constraints?
- What are the emerging standards, benchmarks and best practices for corporate sustainability practices in China?