The Conference Board
Abdul Erumban is a senior economist at The Conference Board. He is responsible for developing and managing research projects on productivity and long-term economic projections.
His research centers on the fields of productivity, technological change, globalization, international comparisons of economic development, and structural change. He has extensive experience in data construction, analysis, research, and policy analysis. In particular, he has worked extensively on the measurement and analysis of productivity, with a special focus on different aspects of measuring capital for productivity analysis. He has been actively participating in the KLEMS initiatives (EU KLEMS, Asia KLEMS, and World KLEMS), which seeks to understand productivity dynamics in the world’s major economies. He has worked on issues related to productivity and structural change in many advanced countries, developing Asia, and the BRIC countries. He maintains a special interest and understanding of issues related to Indian economy. Recently, he has also been involved in global value chain analysis of the European Commission project WIOD.
He received his master’s degree in applied economics from Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, India, and his PhD in economics from the University of Groningen, the Netherlands. He has published articles in academic and business journals, including Review of Income and Wealth, Industrial and Corporate Change, Journal of Comparative Economics, and Journal of World Business. He has also contributed chapters to a number of books.
Before joining The Conference Board, he worked as an assistant professor in economics at the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Groningen, where he taught international economics, statistics, and research methods. In the past, he has also worked on consultancy for The Conference Board and OECD on several projects, including the OECD India Economic Survey-2006, analyses of Turkish economic growth and competitiveness, and ICT and economic growth.
- with M.P. Timmer (2012), "The Dark Side of Creative Destruction: Innovation and Retirement of Capital", Industrial and Corporate Change, 21(5), 1149-1174
- with G. de Vries, M. P. Timmer, I. Voskoboynikov and H. Wu (2012), "Deconstructing the BRICs: Structural Transformation and Aggregate Productivity Growth", Journal of Comparative Economics, Volume 40, Issue 2, May 2012, Pages 211–227
- (2009), Productivity and Unit Labor Cost in Indian Manufacturing: A Comparative Perspective, Economic and Political Weekly, 44 (15), 39-48.
- (2008), Rental Prices, Rates of Return, Capital Aggregation and Productivity: Evidence from EU and US, CESifo Economic Studies, Oxford Journals, issue 3.
- (2008), Lifetimes of Machinery and Equipment: Evidence from Dutch Manufacturing, Review of Income and Wealth, 54(2), June
- with S. de Jong (2006), Cross Country differences in ICT adoption: A consequence of culture? Journal of World Business, 41(4) December, p 302-314
- (2005), Economic Reforms and Industrial Performance: An analysis of Capacity Utilization in Indian Manufacturing, 4(2), Indian Journal of Economics and Business
- (2001), Utilisation of Optimal Capacity in Indian manufacturing, 1974-96, Applied Economics Letters, vol. 8, September, p. 623-28
- with B. van Ark and A. Gupta (2011), Measuring the Contribution of ICT to Economic Growth in Bart van Ark (2011), The Linked World: How ICT Is Transforming Societies, Cultures, and Economies, Madrid, Ariel and Fundación Telefónica.
- with B. Van Ark, V. Chen, and U. Kumar (2010), The Cost Competitiveness of Manufacturing in China and India: An Industry and Regional Perspective, in Eichengreen, B., P. Gupta and R. Kumar, ed. Emerging Giants: China and India in the World Economy, Oxford University Press, UK
- (2005), Domestic Capacity Utilisation and Import of Capital Goods: Substitutes or Complementary? Evidence From Indian Capital Goods Sector , in Tendulkar, Mitra, Narayanan and Das (eds), India: Industrialisation in a Reforming Economy- Essays for K.L Krishna, New Delhi, Academic Foundation.
- with M. P. Timmer, B. Los, G. J. de Vries and R. Stehrer (2013), "Slicing Up Global Value Chains", mimeo, University of Groningen
- with J. Pieters, and A.I Moreno-Monroy (2012), "Outsourcing and the Size and Composition of the Informal Sector: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing", mimeo, University of Groningen
- with M. P. Timmer, B. Los, G. J. de Vries and R. Stehrer (2012), New measures of European Competitiveness: A Global Value Chain Perspective, Working paper 9, WIOD
- with F.R. Gouma, B. Los, R. Stehrer, U. Temurshoev, M.P. Timmer and G.J. de Vries (2011), "World Input-Output Database: Construction, Challenges, and Applications", mimeo, University of Groningen
- with S. M. Dougherty, R. Herd and T. Chalaux (2008), India’s growth pattern and obstacles to higher growth, OECD Economics Department Working Papers No. 623
- with K.K Subrahmanian (2000), Industrial Growth in Kerala: Trends and Explanations, CDS Working paper No. 310, November, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum