Partner Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Matthew P. Salerno is a partner based in the New York office of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP.
Mr. Salerno’s practice focuses on corporate and financial transactions, particularly public and private mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, and contests for corporate control.
Mr. Salerno’s recent representations include:
- Google in its $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility;
- Alpha Natural Resources in its $8.5 billion acquisition of Massey Energy. Previously counsel to Alpha Natural Resources in its $2 billion merger with Foundation Coal Holdings, as well as other M&A and governance matters, including the receipt of a large break-up fee from Cleveland Cliffs Natural Resources in 2008;
- Medtronic in its $800 million acquisition of Ardian. Previously counsel to Medtronic in connection with its $500 million acquisition of Invatec and two related companies, Fogazzi and KRAUTH Cardio-Vascular, and in its $3.9 billion acquisition of Kyphon;
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Interactive Data Corp in the $3.4 billion sale of the company to a private equity consortium of Silver Lake and Warburg Pincus;
- Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group in its $2.3 billion merger with Hertz;
Citigroup in its $20.3 billion public exchange offers of common stock for preferred stock and trust preferred securities;
- Citibank in its $1.4 billion acquisition of The Bisys Group, an NYSE listed provider of back office solutions, and the simultaneous sale to J.C. Flowers & Co., of Bisys’ insurance and retirement solutions business;
- Capital One Financial in its $14.6 billion acquisition of North Fork Bancorporation;
American Express Company in connection with its spin-off of Ameriprise Financial; and
- The Special Committee appointed by the Board of Directors of Trans World Entertainment to explore strategic alternatives in response to the bid by the CEO/controlling stockholder to take the company private.
In 2012, Mr. Salerno was recognized as a "rising star" in mergers and acquisitions by Law360 and named "Dealmaker of the Week" by The AmLaw Daily.
Mr. Salerno joined the firm in 2001 and became a partner in 2010. He received a J.D. degree from Fordham University School of Law in 2001 and an undergraduate degree from Cornell University in 1998.
Mr. Salerno is a member of the Bar in New York.