Executive Director, Corporate Leadership
The Executive Director Corporate Leadership is responsible for engaging business executives around issues related to their assigned practice/topic area. The successful candidate will have strong subject matter expertise in corporate leadership issues–strategy and risk oversight, corporate governance and business ethics, and corporate sustainability and philanthropy.
The Executive Director leads multi-discipline teams that develop, produce and deliver programs and services that enable executives to share experiences and influence issues within the practice/topic area. The Executive Director builds, reinforces, and/or creates the brand identity that The Conference Board is “the place to go” for leading-edge research, peer insights, and thought-provoking conversation. The Executive Director maximizes the value of The Conference Board research by featuring TCB researcher expertise in our forums and informing the research program with the issues that are most important to our members. In short, the Executive Director makes the Corporate Leadership practice work better by building and nurturing the interconnections between members and the various disciplines at The Conference Board.
Reports to the Executive Vice President, Products and Services. Manages Program Directors.
Principal Direct Activities
- Is knowledgeable and able to engage in substantive discussions of current research and thought leadership within the practice/topic area.
- Engages members through a variety of forums including conferences, councils, webcasts, briefings, and face-to-face discussions.
- Works with the membership development teams to enhance the level of member engagement.
- Represents the practice/topic area, spreads the word about what we do, and assists in the dissemination of our research.
- Designs and implements high-quality programs for conferences, councils, webcasts, and other forms of member engagement.
- Builds and manages a team of Program Directors within the assigned topic area to support individual councils, conferences, and other services—developing their expertise within the domain and their ability to both contribute to and represent The Conference Board brand.
- Develops and maintains a strong database of thought leaders and leading-edge practitioners to highlight as speakers or participants in conferences, councils and other meetings.
- Develops relationships with sponsors for the support of events and development of program content where those sponsors are perceived as high-quality organizations by members of The Conference Board.
- Expands the network of executives both among and within companies who participate in the high-quality programs and services of The Conference Board, creating new opportunities on a regular basis.
- Continuously improves the quality and value of councils, conferences, webcasts and other services.
- With Marketing and Communications, develops new marketing and communication strategies and collateral to promote a suite of convening product offerings, minimizing the communications sent to our key customers.
- With Research and other divisions of The Conference Board, plans for and includes research staff in formulating agendas and speaking opportunities.
- Works across The Conference Board to ensure topic integration, communication and awareness of all activities (research, conferences, councils, webcasts, etc.) and facilitates the interchange of ideas across business units.
- Represents the members’ interests and influences the research agenda based on the content and discussions in the various forums of the practice/topic area.
- Helps ensure that the budgeted revenue is achieved within the practice/topic area and positions the practice for continued growth in revenue and offerings.
- Works with EVPs, SVPs, Research Directors, the other Executive Directors of Engagement, and others in the organization to build internal communities of practice to share and implement best practices across the various business units.
- Completes other duties and projects as assigned by the Executive Vice President, Products and Services.
Desired Qualification and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required; advance degree in a related field preferred
- Fast, agile learner who is genuinely curious about issues in the field
- Experience producing high quality programs for an executive audience
- Broad network within the field
- Experience managing a multi-discipline team of people from different parts of an organization
- Ability to manage up and down and across the organization
- Experience working in a matrixed organization structure
- Ability to influence without authority
- Strong facilitation skills