Vice President, Councils
The Vice President, Councils is responsible for the P&L of the council business ensuring profitability, growth, quality, and the delivery of value to members.
Reports to the Executive Vice President, Products and Services. Manages Associate Director of Products and Services, Council Managers, and Senior Council Manager. Works closely with Engagement Directors and Practice Leaders of the three knowledge areas.
Principal Direct Activities
- Manages the P&L of the council business.
- Establishes and maintains annual strategy for council business.
- Creates, monitors, and constantly works to improve key performance indicators including new sales, replacements, attendance, quits, and customer satisfaction.
- Defines and continually refines the Value Matrix for councils. Ensures value is delivered, and measures results. Identifies opportunities and seeks out new products and methods for delivering value. Along the way tracks TouchPoints, Surveys, Joint Meetings, Council Perspectives, and all other forms of value delivery.
- Works with Engagement Directors, Research Directors and Practice Leaders to ensure tight two-way integration is maintained including, but not limited to, informing the research team of member needs and delivering TCB research to council members.
- Works with the Conference Product Manager to fully integrate the councils into conference programs through program planning, speaking opportunities, co-located meetings and other activities.
- Works with the Engagement Directors and Webcast Operations Manager to involve council members in webcast programs and use webcast capabilities to drive more value in the council program.
- Works with Meeting and Events Director, Webcast Operations Manager, Council Managers and others to create meeting environments that deliver value while controlling expenses.
- Works with Budget Analyst to refine the Council Revenue Model and monitor revenue & expenditures to achieve budgeted revenues and margin.
- Monitors profitability of individual councils and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Regularly launches new councils through a council viability analysis, go/no go process.
- Monitors the competition and does a formal competitive analysis on a regular basis.
- Monitors Customer Satisfaction at year-end and at various times throughout the year.
- Creates programs to flag potential problems, identify disengaged members, track former members, and monitor member feedback. Uses this data to work with Engagement Directors, Program Directors, and Council Managers to improve retention and replacement rates as well as reduce quits.
- Works closely with those responsible for marketing, sales and corporate relationship management to ensure that desired communication, collaboration, and results are achieved. Participates in setting and managing commissions for all related sales and retention activities.
- Works with Engagement Directors to recruit, engage and retain Program Directors. Oversees contract creation, establishing fee and bonus structures.
- Works with Engagement Directors to train new Council Program Directors.
- Works with Engagement Directors, Program Directors, Council Managers and others to maintain a high level of quality control over all aspects of the council program.
- Works with Manager CEUs and others to ensure that continuing education credits are obtained and delivered.
- Completes projects and other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President, Products and Services.
Desired Qualification and Requirements
- 10+ years of experience in a professional organization in marketing, client services or business development
- 5+ years of experience managing a P&L
- Experience working in a matrixed organization structure
- An MBA is desirable but not required.
- Exceptional analytical and operational skills
- Strong writing, communication and grammar skills
- A project manager, leader mentality
- Proactive problem solver, solutions focused
- Strong computer skills and aptitude